Staff and students from The Academy Grimsby (TAG) are celebrating the recognition received following their first ever visit by an Ofsted Inspector, highlighting the commitment made by the management team to produce a high-quality learning experience for 14-16 year olds.
TAG, part of the Grimsby Institute Group, opened it’s doors in September 2014 and the Monitoring Visit Report, which was conducted on May 7th 2015, focused on monitoring the progress made by the Academy throughout it’s first academic year. Just some of the positive feedback highlighted by the inspector in the Monitoring Visit Report included:
- Students are engaged and motivated in lessons and understand the importance of their studies and the contribution that learning and achievement make to their future career aspirations.
- Teachers have successfully established very good working relationships with their students that foster positive attitudes to learning and high expectations.
- A learning culture that emphasises good attendance and behaviour and helps to prepare students for the next stage of their education.
- The Academy has made significant progress in ensuring the curriculum is sufficiently broad and including vocational studies, English, mathematics science, religious education, British values, history, information and communication technology, French and personal, social and health education.
- Vocational staff delivering the programmes in Engineering and Health & Social Care have relevant skills and are experienced in their specialist areas. They make good use of their knowledge in lessons to bring realism and relevance to their subjects.
Paul Thundercliffe, Head Teacher of The Academy Grimsby, said: “I am delighted with the monitoring visit report from Ofsted. A lot of hard work has gone into making TAG a viable, exciting learning environment and the report certainly reflects that. To get significant progress within our first year indicates how far we have come. The inspectors were rightly impressed with the ethos and atmosphere of TAG and placed particular emphasis on the strong relationships between staff and students. Any areas for improvement highlighted in the report have been, or will soon be, addressed as part of our ongoing commitment for excellence.
“The report proves that we are to be taken seriously as a provider of education for teenagers in North East Lincolnshire. We are almost full for our September intake, fully staffed with experienced, qualified staff, and we already have lots of applications for our 2016 intake. Parents are putting their faith in us to educate their children and this report is a vindication of that. I have no doubt that we will continue to flourish and grow bigger over the next couple of years as more and more young people choose us.”
The report also highlights the additional enrichment and support network offered at TAG including;
- An enrichment programme, offered through the main college, provides several options and students enjoy the opportunity to have taster sessions in other vocational areas.
- Quality assurance arrangements are thorough and comprehensive, with an emphasis on continuous improvement.
- The Academy has a well-designed range of policies covering aspects of academy life. These are planned to help prepare students for their adult working lives.
- Students adhere to the uniform policy, giving them a sense of identity and a pride in belonging to the academy.
- The Academy provides a welcoming safe environment allowing all students to thrive.
- Pastoral care is strong and students particularly value the individual attention they receive and this makes a significant contribution to their personal development and growing confidence and self-esteem.
Paul continued: “I would like to thank management and staff at the Grimsby Institute Group, as well as my own staff at The Academy Grimsby, the parents for their support and of course our fantastic students who make me proud every single day.”
To view the full report please visit: reports.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-reports/find-inspection-report/provider/ELS/130585