Staff excellence celebrated at annual Star Awards Staff from across the Grimsby Institute Group celebrated the annual Star Awards ceremony recognising the outstanding achievements and dedication of academic and business support staff from the Grimsby Institute, University Centre Grimsby, Lincolnshire Regional College and Lincolnshire Rural Activities Centre.
The 18 awards were presented to staff who had excelled over the past year by Chair of the Corporation, Mike Parker OBE. Sue Middlehurst, Principal of the Grimsby Institute Group, explained:
“I really want to thank everyone who has been nominated for an award this year. It has been an amazing year for us. It’s been a lot of hard work for everyone but I have been really impressed with the commitment from our staff.”
Mike Parker OBE, Chair of the Corporation who presented the awards to the staff, added: “It’s been quite a year since we last came together for this event; We’ve had a successful Ofsted Inspection and been granted Foundation Degree Awarding Powers. The Star Awards are significant because they are nominated for by the staff themselves.”
Star Awards 2013 were presented to the following:
- Award for Response to Learners’ Needs – Community Learning Centres
- Award for Excellence in a Support Role – Claire Bellamy
- Award for Excellence in Learning Support – Amanda Nettleton
- Award for Excellence as a Teacher, Training and Learning Practitioner – Simon Bryson
- Award for Engaging Employers – Sharron Eskesen
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Ann Tapp
- Awards for Unsung Heroes – Eileen Gibson and Curriculum Administrators
- Award for Excellence in Innovation – Russell Woodward
- Award for Excellence in Workforce Development – Iain Biglin
- Award for Excellence in Leadership – Ellen Thinnesen
- Award for Striving for Excellence – Sally Dixon
- Awards for Working Together with Mutual Respect – Andrew Daniel & Tim Hooper
- Award for Putting Learners and Customers First – Hospitality
- Award for Sustainability – Heather Hipkin
- Principal’s Award – Phyliss Downs
- Award for Living the Values – Animal Care
The Lifetime Achievement award was presented to Ann Tapp, Programme Leader for Health & Social Care, who has worked at the Grimsby Institute for over twenty years. Ann said:
“I’m proud to be part of such a supportive team, from the Head of School, Karen Horton, to everyone in the division.
“I’ve seen many changes over the years. After 21 years in Childcare I was asked to move to Health and Social Care. I am really enjoying the change – and working with another great team.
\“I’m thrilled to receive the Lifetime Achievement award. I’ve always been part of a caring team, who have supported each other. I would like to give great and immense thanks to the whole division of Care and especially to the Health & Social Care team who have made me feel so welcomed.”
The evening was compered by the Head of Centre at Lincolnshire Regional College, Gavin Hosford, and included a special performance by Music learners, Sophie Webb and Dean Garrod. Staff and learners from Hospitality prepared, cooked and served a three course meal for the invited guests and table decorations were created by Horticulture learners, Hayley Carter and Sarah Gorman, who is also the Institute’s Student Governor, with everyone volunteering their time to make the evening an extra-special event for the staff.