Learners from across Lincolnshire Regional College (LRC) joined their tutors, support staff, families and friends for the annualBrilliance Awards, celebrating learner excellence and dedicationin an award ceremony, at The Storehouse in Skegness, where 17 learners were awarded prizes by LRC and some of the region’s top business names, who sponsored the event.
The Brilliance Awards have been running for four years, and over100 guests were invited by LRC’s Head of Centre, Gavin Hosford, to join in the celebrations. During his speech Gavin reflected on the past year at the College.
Gavin said: “This year has been a fantastic one for everyone at Lincolnshire Regional College. Throughout the year we have continued to develop partnerships locally and forged ahead with new relationships based on collaboration.
“We’ve taken a hard look at the skills gaps that exist here in East Lindsey and the barriers to employment that our learners have. In response to this we have launched a pick and mix programme of courses that answer the challenges of living and working in a coastal community, with an innovative approach to currirculum.”
Learners were presented with certificates, trophies and special prizes by the award sponsors, which this year has seen new high profile sponsors including; Skegness College of Vocational Training, Careers Lincolnshire, GFS Platform Skegness, Lincolnshire Police, City Electrical Factors, Butlin’s, Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust, Morrisons, the Lumley Bar & Restaurant and New Era Gym.
The Learner of the Year Award was presented to 19-year-old Lauren Kelham. Lauren, a former student at John Spendluffe Technology College in Alford, currently lives in Sutton-on-Sea and chose to train at LRC because it was the nearest College offering a Level 3 Health & Social Care qualification. Lauren originally wanted to train as a Beauty Therapist, but following a car accident, she was inspired by the Nurses who cared for her, deciding she wanted to change her career path and follow in their footsteps.
Lauren explained: “At school I wasn’t really bothered about studying. After the car accident I decided I definitely wanted to do Nursing. I went back to College, re-sat all my GCSEs and passed 9 with Grades A-C. I then enrolled for Level 3 Health and Social Care at LRC and passed with Distinction *. I’m now going to Sheffield Hallam University in Septmber to study Adult Nursing, it’s like a dream come true. I’m actually really proud of myself.
“I’ve really loved being at LRC, they have everything you need, but the College is cosy and small enough to be friendly, the tutors are fun. I’m over the moon to win the award. Everyone at the College has worked really hard, so be chosen as the Learner of the Year is wonderful.”
Alongside the award presentations, Doreen Stephenson, Lead of East Lindsey District Council, gave a speech to the learners about their successes and Emma Taylor, Level 3 Health and Social Care learner, was invited to give a response to College staff on behalf of all the learners.
Gavin Hosford explained the plans for the 2014/2015 at LRC: “Next year we are hoping to introduce four more Foundation Degrees including a higher-level qualification in the business of Travel, Tourism & Leisure, which is perfect for Skegness. In Further Education we will be introducing Business Studies and working with Young Enterprise to improve the all-important job ready skills that our young people need.
“I’m delighted that we have been able to finish this Academic Year on such a high. Our learners are truly fantastic and they thoroughly deserve these awards, which are a testament to how hard they have worked, and how much dedication they have shown to their training, which is going to set them up for a lifetime of success.”
Awards were presented for Learner of the Year in the following areas;
- Health & Social Care – sponsored by Surestart Childrens’ Centre – Lauren Kelham
- Hospitality & Catering – sponsored by Skegness Jobcentre Plus – Letesha Brown
- Plumbing – sponsored by PTS Skegness – Derick Parkes
- GCSE Maths – sponsored by the Lumley Bar & Restaurant – Sharon Sylvester
- ICT – Sponsored by East Lindsey District Council – Deanna Stoyles
- Electrical Installation – sponsored by City Electrical Factors (Grimsby) – Lee Hardy
- Outstanding Contribution to College Life – sponsored by Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust – Cadell Abbott
- Childcare – sponsored by GFS Platform Skegness – Jemma Danskin
- Carpentry & Joinery – sponsored by Howdens Joinery – Jordan Ashmore
- Automotive – sponsored by Lincolnshire Police PCSOs – Kingsley Wilson
- Beauty Therapy – sponsored by Skegness College of Vocational Training – Brienne White
- Hairdressing – sponsored by Morrisons – Zoe Blackshaw
- Personal Development – sponsored by Prince’s Trust Team Programme – Sean Davies
- Uniformed Public Services – sponsored by New Era Gym – Jordan Kaye
- FdA Social Care – sponsored by Butlin’s Skegness – Natasha Edwards
- GCSE English – sponsored by Lincolnshire Co-operative – Ellie Brown
- 14-16 Academy Group – sponsored by Careers Lincolnshire – Tommy Maddison
- Lincolnshire Regional College’s Learner of the Year 2014 – sponsored by the Grimsby Institute Group – Lauren Kelham