Lincolnshire Regional College, part of the Grimsby Institute Group, is celebrating the praise received from the Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills (Ofsted) following a full inspection of the Group’s provision in Skegness, Grimsby & Scarborough which has seen the Group receive an overall grade of ‘Good’ with ‘Outstanding’ elements.
During the detailed inspection in November 2013, 12 inspectors visited Lincolnshire Regional College in Skegness, Grimsby Institute in Grimsby and Yorkshire Coast College in Scarborough, where they observed outstanding teaching and learning practices and talked to learners and staff about their experiences. The report highlights;
• How teaching, learning and assessment across the Group is often outstanding.
• Success rates on full-time courses have steadily risen over the last three years and are above national average.
• Learners receive particularly good information, advice and guidance to ensure that they are on a course that meets their needs, interests and aptitudes.
• Success rates for learners aged over 19 on advanced-level courses have risen and are now well above national averages.
• The involvement of learners in the support of continuous improvement is outstanding. • The Group has very positive culture of success through competitions and award ceremonies that motivate learners to work hard.
• Learners participate in an impressive array of enriching activities that promote their heath, personal wellbeing and community engagement.
• Many learners have won awards, prizes and gained recognition for their success. The 12 inspectors assessed eight subject areas for the quality of teaching, learning and assessment.
The Inspectors agreed with the Group’s findings that only one of those areas requires improvement. The report details how the Group has a good understanding of its strengths and areas for improvement as confirmed by the inspection grades and judgement. Other features the Inspectors were impressed with included:
• Learners enjoy learning, they grow in confidence and learn to work productively in teams, which employers value.
• The planning of the curriculum to meet the many and diverse needs of the community and local businesses.
• Teaching, learning & assessment of learners over the age of 19, which is reflected in the very good outcomes and outstanding success rates for all learners.
• Learners benefit significantly from the extensive vocational and teaching experience which the highly qualified staff draw upon to good effect within teaching and learning.
• Community members and employers with whom the Group works closely bring benefits to learners in meeting the Group’s aspirations towards ‘Outstanding’.
• The Principal and Managers work highly effectively to promote community engagement.
• The Group has a good partnership with a wide range of organizations and employers.
• Learners gain employability and job-search skills with high expectations for learner outcomes that develop innovative and, in some cases, specialist learning programmes.
The inspection visit was led by the Group’s Assistant Principal – 14-19 and Higher Education, Ellen Thinnesen, who was delighted with the outcomes reported by the Inspectors. Ellen said: “The results we have received following the visit by the Ofsted Inspectors are truly fantastic. We are now on a journey to becoming an ‘Outstanding’ provider and this report has cemented our belief that the learning experiences we offer are of a very high quality indeed.”
Principal & Chief Executive of the Grimsby Institute Group, Sue Middlehurst, said: “I am extremely pleased with the report we have received from Ofsted. We know that we are an innovative and inspiring provider of education and training but I am thrilled the Ofsted Inspectors agree and recognise our successes and the commitment we demonstrate to improving the lives of our learners, staff and communities.
“I’d like to take this opportunity to thank all of the staff and learners who went above and beyond to show the Inspectors what a terrific place Lincolnshire Regional College is to learn, train and work – we couldn’t have asked for a better result.”