The very first term of The Academy Grimsby is underway and it’s students and staff are settling into their dynamic new environment.
This exciting new venture invites young people interested in gaining skills and qualifications in the Engineering & Healthcare sectors to receive specialised training alongside studying traditional GCSE. With support from industry partners, The Academy Grimsby offers a focused training pathway that will greatly enhance young people’s career prospects.
Wendy Jackson, Head Teacher of The Academy Grimsby, explained: “After watching the building develop over the past few months it’s certainly very exciting for all of the staff and students to be starting the term.
“Our young people can look forward to having an outstanding academic education alongside outstanding vocational training. We are also offering state-of-the-art facilities, that no other school in the authority has, which are tailored towards a young person’s chosen career route.
“Alongside the suite of ten academic GCSEs we will be specialising in the Health Care and Engineering pathways. This doesn’t necessarily mean that every learner is going to be an Engineer or work in the Health Care profession, but it does mean they will get the employability skills that are needed to work in those sectors but are easily transferable to any industry they choose.
Our students will have the choice to choose their own progression route and their own career and this is a marvellous opportunity for all the young people in the area.
The Academy Grimsby is located on Westward Ho in Grimsby, at the former site of the East Coast School of Art & Design, which has been completely redesigned and updated to offer 14-16 year olds a small, personalised learning environment with work-based facilities and the latest equipment including clinical skills rooms and engineering workshops & labs.
Kyran Ayres, 14, has chosen to study on the Engineering pathway and chose to apply to The Academy Grimsby because he has always wanted to be a Mechanical Engineer or Mechanic and he felt the new school would help him achieve that. Kyran said:
I want to be a Mechanical Engineer, working both here and abroad, and I think that training at the Academy will give me better opportunities in the future.
Students training at The Academy Grimsby have the opportunity to;
- Study a Key Stage 4 curriculum – accounting for 80% of the total curriculum that a child would normally study at school.
- Additionally study a vocational qualification linked to progression and employment – accounting for the other 20% of the curriculum.
- Develop professional skills and knowledge in areas of employment that are in demand across the region.
- Learn vocationally relevant skills within a unique and innovative environment using the latest e-technology.
- Participate in meaningful work experience that is relevant to the student’s chosen vocation and career aspirations.
- Work on innovative industry based projects and challenges set by employers.
- Access support from achievement coaches and employers to help with aspirational target setting and career planning, followed by regular progress reviews of target achievement.
Olivia Davies, 14, is one of the young people who have chosen to take the Health Care route, which is supported by the Care Plus Group. Olivia explained why she applied for The Academy Grimsby:
“I thought it would be good because I love the thought of helping people and becoming a Nurse in A & E. I thought The Academy Grimsby would be able to help me with that because I will be doing work experience every six weeks, which is going to be really helpful.
Inside there is an area that’s built like a real flat. We can learn what it’s like to care for someone in their home and there are even windows where the teachers can be telling us what we should be doing, and we can learn from that. I’m really looking forward to studying Business Studies too, as that’s something I’ve never done before.
For more information about The Academy Grimsby simply email email@example.com or visit academy.grimsby.ac.uk